Transition to the Junior School
We have a number of things in place throughout the academic year to support our children with their transition to the Junior School. Below are the plans for the current academic year.
- AUTUMN TERM 2017
- October – Infants and Juniors meet to discuss the last transition and make amendments where needed for the next one.
- December – Year 2 children invited to see the Junior School Christmas production.
- SPRING TERM 2018
- January – meeting for Year 2 parents to share activities planned for the year ahead.
- January to July – Year 2 classes to have weekly story time at the Juniors.
- March – Year 3 teachers make an informal visit to the Infants, meet the classes and go outside at playtime.
- March – Year 2 staff take the children to the Juniors for an activities afternoon led by the Year 3 teachers.
- SUMMER TERM 2018
- May – parents invited to submit any class group concerns to Mrs Head ahead of Year 3 classes being put together.
- June – Year 2 parents invited to the Juniors during the school day. This will include a tour of the school, an introduction to the Year 3 staff and a talk about the Junior School.
- June – Year 2 staff take the children to the Juniors for an activities afternoon led by the Year 3 teachers.
- July – moving up day. Children spend time in their new class with their new teacher.
- July - Junior School Ambassadors to meet Year 2 children to introduce themselves, answer any of the children’s questions about the Junior School and to share their experiences of life at the Junior School.
- July – Year 2 teachers meet with the Year 3 teachers to discuss each individual child who is moving up.
- July – pupil information transferred between the two schools (office paperwork, children’s work, pupil attainment data).
The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinators and Family Support Workers from the two schools liaise closely with each other throughout the year.