Phonics & Read Write Inc.
Read Write Inc and Phonics at Springfield Infants
We use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get children off to a flying start with their literacy. RWI is a method of learning centred round letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing.
Reading opens the door to learning. A child who reads a lot will become a good reader. A good reader will be able to read more challenging material. A child who reads challenging material is a child who will learn. The more a child learns, the more he or she will want to find out.
Using RWI, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- learn that sounds are represented by written letters
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn how to blend sounds
- learn to read words using Fred Talk
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
When using RWI to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- write simple sentences
What does a Read Write Inc Lesson look like?
Each lesson has the same structure so children focus on the new learning rather than worrying about what is going to happen next. Children are grouped according to their ability so they only tackle work that is achievable making it more enjoyable and allowing learning and confidence to flourish side by side. Click the links below to read more about the lessons and see an example lesson.
If you have any queries or would like to discuss our phonics programme further, please contact your child's class teacher or Mrs Phillips.