- Please try to listen to your child read as often as possible as reading daily (5 times a week) will really enhance their progress.
- Once you have listened to your child read, please record each occasion in their reading diaries.
- Diaries will be checked everyday for notes and to ensure we are monitoring those who are reading and those who need to have extra 'catch-up reads' in school.
- Although our TA's will check diaries everyday, they will only be changing books three times a week on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday. This is to encourage children to re-read the books they are given and answer the set of comprehension questions in the back of the books, to prepare them for later assessments and develop their deeper thinking skills.
- Please also bear in mind, TA's will only issue a new book if they can see that the previously issued book has been read at home.
- We do have a reading challenge in school to promote reading at home, whereby the children can win various prizes, based on the reading targets that they hit. The prizes this year are:
- 20 reads - certificate
- 50 reads - badge
- 100 reads - bookmark
- 160 reads - book
- Children will also be sent out a wallet with key words for them to learn, so please could you practise these with them at home too.