- Please try to listen to your child read daily (5 times a week) this will really enhance their progress.
- Once you have listened to your child read, please record each occasion in their reading diaries.
- Diaries will be checked everyday for notes and to ensure we are monitoring those who are reading and those who need to have extra 'catch-up reads' in school.
Our reading structure has changed this year to allow for children to develop their fluency and comprehension:
- Books will be changed three times a week on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday. This is to encourage children to re-read the books they are given and answer the set of comprehension questions in the back of the books, to prepare them for later assessments and develop their deeper thinking skills.
- Please also bear in mind, TA's will only issue a new book if they can see that the previously issued book has been read at home. If you wish to keep a book for a longer period please write it in their diary.
- We do have a reading challenge in school to promote reading at home, whereby the children can win various prizes, based on the reading targets that they hit. The reading challenge prizes this year are as follows:
- 20 reads - certificate
- 50 reads - badge
- 100 reads - bookmark
- 160 reads - book